Thursday, May 25, 2017

Craftsman Quilt

I really like the Craftsman quilt designed by Amy Smart from Diary of a Quilter blog.  

Amy has some wonderful patterns.  Check out her site when you get a chance.

As I made this one for the Victoria's Quilts, I needed to have a specific size which was slightly different from the pattern.  I made a few changes to size of blocks and ended up with a great looking quilt .  Brown and orange fabrics pop against the white background fabric.  The variety of fabrics makes it such an interesting quilt.

Bound in an rusty orange and quilted with straight lines in varying widths.  
Quilt #6 for charity this year.

Monday, May 8, 2017

May is for Makers month

This is a cool idea started by Lindsey Rhodes (@lrstitched) May is for Makers to support indie makers.  Not just one particular type of maker, but all indie makers.

I think it's great to support indie makers.  In my case,  I plan to support quilt pattern makers.  

Over the past years, I have found my share of free patterns on the internet as well as paid for many.  I have also tried to put down on paper some designs I have made.   I know how much work goes into putting something out there for sale, that buyers can use to make their own creations.

I appreciate the work of indie makers and plan to purchase several patterns during this May is for Makers month.

My first pattern purchase this month is Craftsman Quilt by Amy Smart of  Diary of a Quilter

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Shades of Brown

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

I had so much fun with my Bento Box Blues quilt from last month, I though I'd try one in browns.  The local Victoria Quilts is frequently looking for quilts more suited for men and this one should fit the bill.

The strip piecing method worked well.

This makes Quilt #5 for Victoria's Quilts in 2017.

Friday, April 7, 2017

Bento Box Blues

Bento Box Blues

I had a lot of blue fabric to work with when making my next Victoria's Quilt.  

As I wanted to try a new pattern, I was searching on the Internet for something that would work with all this blue fabric and came across Janet Wickell's pattern Bento Box Quilt Block pattern.  From there it led to many other resources to construct this block in a variety of ways.

I ended up sewing (using the strip piecing method) several blocks.  Then I took the finished blocks and cut them in half and joined them to create a different block.  The finished look was interesting.

When the final blocks were joined to make the quilt top, it was a bit short in the required width so I added a dark blue print border and used a light print for the binding.   The Pickle Dish in Carleton Place  had the perfect fabric.

The quilting design I used was a simple pattern of diagonal lines.  Thanks goodness for my Bernina and its walking foot !

This makes Quilt #4 for Victoria's Quilts in 2017.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Marcie's Maze

Design board set up
I had purchased 20 pieces of fabric and cut it into 2 1/2" strips for a course that was being offered by a local quilt shop.  Unfortunately, it was cancelled at the very last minute on 2 occasions (urrrgh!!) and so I was left with 40 jelly roll strips.
Quilt in nature

The fabric was from the Moda Chic Neutral collection and was one I really liked.  I decided to make another project, but it would require another jelly roll.  I wanted fabric to be from the same collection. But, since it had been out for a while, it was nearly impossible to find any additional fabric to enable me to make a large quilt.  Luckily I found Dinkydoo, an online fabric store at the time, in British Columbia that had a jelly roll of this line.   If you are not familiar with this store, check them out.  They have lots of fabric choice and daily deals :) They are also opening a bricks and mortar shop in Pitt Meadows if you happen to be in the area.

Quilt design is an original design by a local long arm quilter.

The pattern for this quilt was Marcie's Maze Quilt Pattern by Mack and Mabel which I ordered online.   A fun quilt to make and directions were easy to follow.  Lots of sizes available for this quilt pattern as well.  This one turned out to be the biggest quilt I have ever made - 93" x 110" !!

This quilt was made for my daughter's 10th wedding anniversary.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Bit of a Challenge

Here's is Quilt #3 for Victoria's Quilts for this year.  I decided to try to use as much of the contributed fabric as I could for the next Victoria's Quilt I was going to make. 

I chose a main fabric and went with that for colors.  As it turned out, even with my stash I couldn't quite get it to come together.

So, a trip to the quilt store - Mad About Patchwork - was required.  It wasn't a hardship that's for sure - I love quilt store visits.  

I was looking for some fabric that would work with what I had.  Once again, Katy came to the rescue and found  the brown and lilac fabrics.  

Not sure if this block has a special name, but I'm calling it Square in a Square.

This is a tied quilt (not my favorite finishing method) but in the need for expediency, I went with that.

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Black and White Quilt

I have always wanted to make a black and white quilt. My opportunity came when I picked up some material from my local Victoria's Quilt group.   I saw some prints that I could work with.  

Now sometimes when I use material from the group, it may be hard to match. But this one worked out well.  I included several prints from my own stash and purchased some other prints as well.  And voila, another quilt is made.

This quilt is tied, but I prefer finishing my quilts with machine quilting. 

Not sure the name of this pattern, but I like the look and the yellow stripe down the center of each block makes it pop.  


As Victoria's Quilts has asked for more quilts that would be more suitable for men, I thought this one would fit the bill.