Items for Sale

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

10 Minute Quilt Block




My next charity quilt is made with "10 minute" blocks.   I found this technique on YouTube in my quest for simple yet interesting blocks.

 
Each block consists of 5 pieces of square fabric.  Mine were 6 1/2" square.  This made a 12 1/2" unfinished block.   Only 3 seams involved and it was simple to make.  I followed Suzanne McNeill's YouTube video which was very helpful.  Once the seams were sewn I simply top-stitched the focus center square and it was done.  I also made half the blocks with a smaller center focus fabric to give a bit of variation to the pattern.   

By doing a bit of math, you can easily make the blocks the size you'd require for a different size quilt.

When I put all the blocks together, my quilt was a bit too long for the dimensions required by Victoria's Quilts. So I took a row off and made an off set couple of rectangular pieces on both ends.  

I machine quilted with diagonal lines and tied it was well with yellow embroidery thread.

As usual, most of the fabric for the quilt was from the Victoria's Quilts Friends Group here in town.  I added a few from my stash to complete it.  It has a very Autumnal look to it - color wise and also some of the themed fabrics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment